Monday, September 22, 2014

#ChSocM Chat Preview: Social Media for Conferences, Workshops, Diocesan Conventions, Synod Assemblies and More!

Prep for #ChSocM chat Tuesday, September 23 at 9PM ET.

My church social media life on Twitter really ramped up a few notches when, from the comfort of my home (and in my pjs) I attended the 76th General Convention of the Episcopal Church and the ELCA Churchwide Assembly. In 2009.

I watched whatever was livestreamed, followed hashtags, and plunged into conversations with people attending in person as well as people following along online. 

Some of those I met during those Twitter-based conversations have become dear colleagues and friends. 

My appreciation for and commitment to ecumenism was also reinforced by being able to observe and participate. (More about that in this post, Ecumenical Escapades

Back then, hashtags had not yet permeated the general culture. Churches were just beginning to experiment with them, not quite realizing how doing so would extend reach and expand conversation. 

It's now 2014 and on any given day and almost every weekend, we can go fishing in the Twitterstream and catch up with an abundance of events. (You just want to soak in that metaphor, right?) 

Resistance to using hashtags for church events doesn't seem to be much of an issue these days, but competency still is...for some. 

This week's we'll focus on using social media to make public events even more public. Come gather online at 9PM ET on September 23 and let's chat!


Note: Since February 2014, this guide to Live Tweeting Church Events has racked up 6000+ views and I find myself in frequent conversation about best practices.

No comments: