Okay, so you've named and claimed your hashtag, now what? Here, I'm focusing on how to use a hashtag during an event (e.g., conference, convention, assembly, meeting, workshop).
Establish permission to tweet from the get-go:
- In addition to including the hashtag in all materials/handouts, announce what it is and invite attendees to tweet during opening/welcoming comments.
- Encourage presenters to include the official hashtag on their materials, especially on slides being broadcasted.
- Offer attendees a crash-course in using Twitter or at least how to follow your hashtag on Twitter.
If you're organizing an event:
- designate someone to post content and color commentary with the hashtag
- consider issuing a press pass to anyone who can make a credible case for live-tweeting your event
- monitor what's showing up with the hashtag attached
That's it, but unlike simply setting up a hashtag, not so easy peasy to establish as a best practice in the world of church communications. Yet.